- I have no desire to prove anything by it. I have never used it as an outlet or a means of expressing myself. I just dance.
- When working on my choreography I am not always receptive to outside suggestions or opinions. I believe that if you have something in mind in the way of a creation, such as a new dance, a sequence, or an effect, you are certain to come up with inaccurate criticism and damaging results if you go around asking for opinions.
- But I do nothing that I don't like, such as "inventing" up to the arty or "down" to the corny. I happen to relish a certain type of corn. What I think is the really dangerous approach is the "let's be artistic" attitude. I know that artistry just happens.
- I don't make love by kissing, I make love by dancing.
- Either the camera will dance, or I will.
- There comes a day when people begin to say, 'Why doesn't that old duffer retire?' I want to get out while they're still saying Astaire is a hell of a dancer.
- I have had to do most of my choreography. I would say most of it, with help from various choreographers I have worked with.
- Oh, there's no such thing as my favorite performance. I can't sit here today and look back, and say, Top Hat was better than Easter Parade or any of the others. I just don't look back, period. When I finish with a project, I say 'all right, that's that. What's next?'
Quotes by Fred Astaire. Fred Astaire quotations.