- Wine can only be labeled "champagne" if is made in the Champagne region of northeastern France.
- A raisin in a glass of champagne (or any soda water) will continuously bounce up and down from the bottom of the glass.
- Contrary to popular belief, a bottle of bubbly (Champagne) should never pop with a big bang, but with a soft sigh.
- Dom Perignon, a Benedictine monk at the Abbey of Hautvillers, is considered to have invented champagne.
- The temperature of the Champagne should ideally be between 6 to 8 degrees C.
- There are 49 million bubbles in a 750 ml bottle of champagne.
- Vintage Champagnes are those which are aged for a minimum of three years upto ten years, and are the most expensive.
- The pressure in a bottle of champagne is 90 pounds per square inch, about three times that in an automobile tire.
- A champagne cork leaves the bottle at a velocity of approximately 38-40 mph, but can pop out at as fast as 100 mph.
- The official champagne of the Titanic was Heidsieck & Co Monopole Blue Top Champagne Brut.
- Marilyn Monroe is said to have once taken a bath in the bubbly. According to her biographer, it took 350 bottles to fill the tub.
- Non-vintage Champagnes are aged for at least 18 months in France.
12 interesting facts about Champagne
Labels: food facts