- A birthstone is a gift of a precious stone that represents the month of birth in the Gregorian calendar.
- From ancient times there have been superstitions about precious stones. Long ago some stones were supposed to make anyone who wore them strong and brave. Others were supposed to protect their wearers from fire and lightning. Still others were supposed to bring good health and good fortune.
- A birthstone is sometimes also called birthday stone.
- Ancient civilizations, such as those in India and Babylon, have attributed gemstones with magical properties.
- The idea of birthstones came from these old superstitions. Each month was given a stone. Wearing this stone, people thought, would bring good fortune to anyone whose birthday was in the month.
- Not many people still have the old idea that precious stones can help or harm them. But many people do enjoy wearing their birthstones.
- The current assignation of stones to months was established by the American National Association of Jewelers in 1912.
- The Gregorian calendar has poems matching each month with its birthstone.
ZODIAC SIGNS AND THEIR BIRTHSTONES
Aquarius January 21 - February 19 Garnet
Pisces February 20 - March 20 Amethyst
Aries March 21 - April 19 Bloodstone
Taurus April 20 - May 20 Sapphire
Gemini May 21 - June 21 Agate
Cancer June 22 - July 22 Emerald
Leo July 23 - August 22 Onyx
Virgo August 23 - September 22 Carnelian
Libra September 23 - October 22 Peridot
Scorpio October 23 - November 22 Beryl
Sagittarius November 23 - December 21 Topaz
Capricorn December 22 - January 20 Ruby