- Oprah Winfrey (born January 29, 1954) is an American television host, producer, and philanthropist, best known for her self-titled, multi-award winning talk show, which has become the highest-rated program of its kind in history.
- Oprah's favorite color is green.
- As of 2007, Oprah Winfrey currently lives on "The Promised Land," a 42 acre ocean and mountain view estate in Montecito, California, outside of Santa Barbara. She bought the property for $50,000,000.
- She has been ranked the richest African American of the 20th century.
- In 2004, Oprah Winfrey hosted the Nobel Peace Prize Concert with Tom Cruise.
- Oprah's mother, Vernita Lee, was a housemaid, and her father, Vernon Winfrey, was a coal miner and a barber before becoming a city councilman.
- Oprah Winfrey is a partial owner of the Granite Broadcasting Corporation.
- In 2006, Oprah Winfrey signed on with Simon and Schuster to write a book about weight control, reportedly receiving more than $12 million.
- Oprah Winfrey was once the world's only black billionaire.
- At the age of 16, Oprah went to live with her father in Nashville, TN. She became an honor student, joined drama club, and won an oratorical contest.
- Oprah Winfrey is scared of heights. In February 2007, Oprah revealed she has also had a fear of chewing gum since childhood.
- Oprah Winfrey is not very fond of shoes. Indeed; she prefers walking barefoot.
- In November 2006, Oprah Winfrey gave all the guests at a screening of her chat show $1300--on the condition they give it away to charity.
- Raised in abject poverty, Oprah received her first pair of shoes in 1959 at age 6. She learned to read at age 2½.
- Oprah Winfrey graduated from Tennessee State University, with a bachelor's degree in Speech and Performing Arts.
- She is also, according to some assessments, the most influential woman in the world.
- Oprah Winfrey was sued by Texas cattle ranchers who claimed that Oprah defamed beef on her show. The case went to trial. She was found not liable.
- Oprah's favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
- Oprah Winfrey produced The Color Purple on Broadway in late 2005. Oprah was in a movie of the same work in 1986.
- Oprah Winfrey co-founded the women's cable television network Oxygen.
- Oprah Winfrey had a baby boy when she was only 14 years old. However the baby died about two weeks later because he was two months premature.
- Oprah's name was supposed to be Orpah, however, it was spelled incorrectly on her birth certificate.
- One of Oprah's nicknames is "O," which is also the title of her magazine.
- Oprah Winfrey is 5' 6.5" tall.
- Among many expensive gifts that she's given to her studio audience, in one episode, Oprah Winfrey gave each person a car.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
25 facts about Oprah Winfrey