- Alexandrite from the Ural Mountains in Russia is green by daylight and red by incandescent light.
- The mineral chrysoberyl is found in transparent yellow to greenish yellow color, but only two varieties are widely known as gemstones: cat’s eye and alexandrite.
- Because of their rarity and the color change capability, "ideal" alexandrite gems are some of the most expensive in the world.
- Alexandrite is the extremely rare variety of the mineral chrysoberyl that actually changes color from green, in daylight, to red, in incandescent light.
- Synthetic alexandrite is used as an active laser medium. Alexandrite laser crystals tend to be round, with a pale brown tint.
- It was discovered in 1830 in Czarist Russia. Since the old Russian imperial colors are red and green it was named after Czar Alexander II on the occasion of his birthday.
- Alexandrite alternates with pearl and moonstone as the birthstone for the month of June.
- Alexandrite can be found in jewels of this period. Master gemologist George Kunz of Tiffany was a fan of alexandrite and the company produced rings featuring fine alexandrite in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, including some set in platinum in the twenties. Victorian jewelry from England also features sets of small alexandrites.
- According to a widely popular but controversial story, alexandrite was discovered by the Finnish mineralogist Nils Gustaf Nordenskiöld, (1792–1866) on the tsarevitch Alexander's sixteenth birthday on April 17, 1834 and named alexandrite in honor of the future Tsar Alexander II of Russia.
Did you know?
An acre of hemp produces more paper than an acre of trees. Paper made from hemp lasts for centuries, compared to 25-80 years for paper made from wood pulp. The US Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper.
1. Hinduism is a religion of 330 million gods. 2. Hindus believe that the soul can be reincarnated, undergoing a cycle of rebirth. 3....
A periscope is an optical instrument which enables a person to obtain a view otherwise impossible to see. Periscopes allow a submarine cre...
The word stomach is derived from the Latin stomachus which is derived from the Greek word stomachos, ultimately from stoma (στόμα), "mo...
What is a depressant?
A depressant is a drug that reduces the activity of various body functions. Some depressants such as anesthetics, sedatives, antiepileptics, narcotics analgesics, and some muscle relaxants, slow nervous and muscular activity by acting on the central nervous system. Tranquilizers are depressants that affect only part of the nervous system. They induce relaxation without causing total depression.