- The Abyssinian is one of the most popular breeds of shorthair cat in the United Sates.
- Nickname: "Abys"
- The real origins of the Abyssinian breed are uncertain.
- There are sources that wild 'Abyssinians' cats live in parts of North Africa today.
- The Abyssinian's eyes are almond shaped and colors include hazel, gold, copper, or green.
- The legs in the Abyssinian are slender in proportion to the body, with a fine bone structure.
- The very first cat to have its entire genome published was an Abyssinian named Cinnamon.
- Their coat is generally a warm golden color, but they can also be cinnamon, blue, fawn and red. The Abyssinian cat is also a Silver Abyssinian variant whose coat shows shades of white, cream and grey.
- Rare colours in Abyssinian cats include the Tortoiseshell, Cream, Chocolate and Lilac.
- Abyssinian cats are extroverted, playful, extremely active, willful and intelligent.
- Abyssinians adore toys and can play for hours with a favorite ball.
- These cats are described as very independent and intelligent.
- Abyssinians are sociable creatures that will get along well with humans and other pets.
- Abyssinians are not 'talkative cats' and have a soft purr.
Facts about the Abyssinian cat