Michel de Montaigne quotes

Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it.

Stubborn and ardent clinging to one's opinion is the best proof of stupidity.

Lend yourself to others, but give yourself to yourself.

The beautiful souls are they that are universal, open, and ready for all things.

I quote others only in order the better to express myself.

He who fears he shall suffer, already suffers what he fears.

Rejoice in the things that are present; all else is beyond thee.

The public weal requires that men should betray, and lie, and massacre.

I know well what I am fleeing from but not what I am in search of.

The most certain sign of wisdom is cheerfulness.

The way of the world is to make laws, but follow custom.

There is no desire more natural than the desire for knowledge.