Rene Descartes quotes

Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare.

I think; therefore I am.

It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well.

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?

Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it.

The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest minds of past centuries.

Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.

Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it.

The first precept was never to accept a thing as true until I knew it as such without a single doubt.

A state is better governed which has few laws, and those laws strictly observed.

Everything is self-evident.

Illusory joy is often worth more than genuine sorrow.

One cannot conceive anything so strange and so implausible that it has not already been said by one philosopher or another.